Employment Opportunities- Trash Truck Driver
May 7, 2020
Trash Truck Driver
City of Parker
$13 - $15 per hour
Number of openings for
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Paid time off
- FRS and Matching
- Flexible spending account
- Employee assistance program
- Safety equipment provided
- Tuition reimbursement
Description and Classification Standards
This position operates garbage trucks to collect and haul yard debris and bulk waste from an assigned route for the Public Works Department in a safe and effective manner. Must have a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License with Class A or B endorsement. Duties include, but are not limited to; operating trucks, equipment, performing repairs, and preparing necessary documentation. This is an entry level position, individuals entering this level must already possess the basic knowledge of the work and the required motor skills and physical capabilities to carry out basic tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
are typical responsibilities for this position but, will perform other duties
- Operates dual-drive garbage
truck, conventional rear loader garbage truck, MAD VAC, mini-garbage
truck, tandem dump truck or open body dump truck in a safe and effective
manner to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life.
- Performs manual work associated
with the collection of waste which may include trash, yard debris,
furniture, bedding, tires, etc.
- Performs manual work associated with the collection of waste which may require the use of shovels, rakes, brooms, or pitchforks to pick up debris.
Employee will be frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and to wet/ humid conditions.
- Evaluates daily schedule to
determine if a trip to the landfill is necessary based on the number of
houses on the route ensuring the efficient use of time and resources.
Performs vehicle pre/post-trip
inspections which may include duties such as checking oil, tires, and
fluid levels of vehicle.
- Maintains and secures all
departmental vehicles and equipment as directed by legislation, policies
and procedures which may include cleaning, performing minor repairs and/or
reporting damages to ensure equipment is operable in an efficient time
frame allowing for operations of daily work details to continue.
- Retrieves landfill receipts
that record and maintain daily records identifying the amount of waste
that was transported and dumped.
- Reviews and signs documents
such as, work orders, vehicle service request, timesheets, and daily work
- Effectively communicates and interacts with management, employees, and members of the public
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge
of the operation and maintenance of standard and specialized solid waste
- Knowledge of the safe
operating procedures and user maintenance on all equipment operated.
- Knowledge of traffic
regulations and safe driving practices.
- Ability to carry out oral and write instructions.
- Knowledge of the routes and schedules of operation to meet daily goals for collection
- Ability to establish
and maintain effective working relationship with associates and residents.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- 1 year of equipment operating experience.
- Licensures and Certifications Must possess a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Class A or B endorsement.
Lift/Carry: 51-100 lbs, Push/Pull: 41-100 lbs.
21-50 lbs, Push/Pull 26-40 lbs.
11-20 lbs, Push/Pull 12-15 lbs.
City of Parker offers a competitive benefit package to include paid health,
dental, and life insurance for employees, as well as discounted family plan
benefits, paid time off, and retirement through the Florida Retirement System
candidates must complete and return a City of Parker employment application in
order to be considered for this position. Applications can be downloaded on our website, www.cityofparker.com, under "Employment Opportunities" or obtained in person from the Human Resources Department located at Parker City Hall, 1001 W. Park Street, Parker, FL 32404. Resumes
submitted without a completed job application WILL NOT be considered.***
Print Story Email Story